Salsa Verde - Your Versatile Buddy!
Salsa Verde is a classic Italian herb sauce that pairs with pretty much everything - roasted veg, pan-fried fish, steak, lamb and on and on. It can be an amazing dip for bread, crudités and crackers. It’s super easy and quick to make and will last for a couple of weeks in the fridge. If you don’t have a food processor, don’t worry. The classic preparation is in a mortar and pestle (but the processor is way easier!) If you can, make it a few hours ahead of needing to use it - this allows the flavours to mellow and blend for a ‘rounder’ flavoured sauce.
* 2 small shallots, very finely chopped
* 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
* 6 anchovies, rinsed if packed in salt
* Leaves from about 60g flat-leaf parsley
* Leaves from about 60g basil
* 3 tbsp salted capers, rinsed well
* 250ml - 300ml extra virgin olive oil
* Put the shallot in a small non-metallic bowl with the vinegar and leave to soak for 30 minutes. This takes the ‘sting’ out of the onion
* After half an hour, process the anchovies and herbs and capers to a chunky paste
* Stir in the shallot, with a little of its vinegar, then whisk in as much of the oil as you need to get a thickish liquid. If you want it looser, just add a little more of the oil until you achieve your desired consistency.
* Taste and add more of the vinegar if you like it a little more piquant, plus salt and pepper. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.